FAQs & Resources

As part of our ongoing mission to help all transfer students, we understand the struggle in finding the right answers for specific questions. Who do you have to talk to if you want to transfer majors? Is there a specific place where transfer students can get tutoring? How does housing compare between West Campus, North Campus, and Riverside? The questions are endless.

The Forty Acres can seem vast and challenging, that's why we've compiled up a list of resources that will hopefully make this campus less daunting. Some of the resources were ones we've always known; others we've had to dig deep and meticulously look around for. Whatever question you may have, we hope that the answer can be found below. If you have any further recommendations on what types of resources to add to this list, please scroll down and fill out our questionnaire located at the bottom of this page.


Core Petition: If you think you should receive credit for a transferable course, talk to your advisor about submitting a core petition -- it's worth a shot to get credit!

Flag Petition: Flag requirements are a unique feature to degrees at UT Austin. Most students complete the flag requirements as part of their degree plans, however, transfer courses do not automatically satisfy these requirements -- even if their UT course equivalent carries a flag. If you think you satisfy a flag requirement with a transferable course, you should submit a petition to be evaluated by the Flag petitions committee.


FAFSA: The largest provider of student financial aid in the nation, the FAFSA program is a must-have for any student seeking financial help.

Scholarships: Thousands of scholarships exist to help college students in paying for their education. The Financial Aid website has a ton of information on all of the different types of scholarships, how to apply for scholarships, and what to do when you receive a scholarship!

Student Jobs: The Hire a Longhorn Job Bank is a job portal sponsored by the Student Employment in the Office of Financial Aid available for all students. This website gives you access to available part-time jobs including summer jobs, work-study, seasonal, and on- and off-campus jobs in the Austin metro area.

University Unions: University unions provides job opportunities for around one hundred students. The jobs include customer service, retail, food service and technical positions.  Students can obtain the job application through the website listed below and drop it off at SAC Hospitality Desk, Texas Union Hospitality Desk and Texas Union Business Services office, UNB 3.112.

Division of Housing & Food Services: This division offers student jobs in food service and resident life. Res life offers resident assistant jobs. If you get to become an RA, your housing and food for the entire year will be taken care of!

Student Accounts & Bills: Student Accounts Receivable (SAR) is responsible for issuing student account bills, collecting outstanding tuition, and/or loan balances and so much more. Check here if you have a question or would like some more information about tuition billing, loans, or how to make a payment on your student account.

Work Study: The Work Study program is a financial aid program provided by the Federal Government. If a student is granted the opportunity to participate in a work study, the student is awarded a certain amount of money which is paid in the form of a wage. To find out if you are eligible to participate in the Work Study program you must complete a FAFSA application. Upon approval of your FAFSA application, you are required to find a job by the assigned date or your Work Study will be canceled.


West Campus: Just across Guadalupe, West Campus is the closest housing to the UT campus. Due to it’s convenience, prices are more expensive than any other housing option. However, the full hands on college experience in this part of Austin is highly recommended. West Campus can be expected to be very social on the weekends with parties. There’s a multitude of easy access food chains on Guad., and food trucks located on both 23rd and 26th Street. Be prepared to pay extra for parking though! Everything is definitely within walking distance, and there are also many bus routes here that will take you towards campus as well as to travel around Austin.

North Campus/Hyde Park: If you go past Dean Keeton, North Campus extends to this quaint housing option. This area is known for being more quiet and laid back from the studious environment. North Campus is further from central UT buildings than West Campus; however, these houses have a good balance between Sunday strolls through Hyde park, shopping areas near E 40th Street, and north campus buildings surrounding E Dean Keeton Street.

Riverside: South of the Lady Bird Lake, Riverside can introduce college students to a very exciting living experience! One of the most popular choices for students living off-campus, Riverside is home to a large number of students living in Austin, most of whom attend UT. It has much cheaper housing than West Campus offers, and is close to most necessary hangouts like HEB and other easy access fast food restaurants. However, without a car, it can be hard to get around. Several miles from campus, fighting traffic can be hard with the bus system on I-35 when trying to make it to early classes.

Academic Resources

Archer Fellowship Program: The Archer Fellowship program, attributed to Congressman Bill Archer, is an opportunity that allows Longhorns to work in our nation’s capital while earning a degree at UT. Archer Fellows study and intern in Washington, D.C., during a fall or spring semester.  This program offers four course which all focus on government.

McCombs School of Business: UT students have the opportunity to obtain a degree from the prestigious McCombs School of Business. These certificate programs allow students to enhance their undergraduate experience by focussing on a specialization. Once the program is completed, you will receive an officially recognized certificate.

College of Liberal Arts: Longhorns that are in search of a certificate under the College of Liberal Arts have nine different programs to choose from. With such a diverse college, Longhorns can complete any of these certificates: African Studies, Core Texts and Ideas, Computational Science and Engineering, Creative Writing Certificate, History and Philosophy of Science, Indigenous Studies, Japanese, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer/Sexualities Studies, Security Studies.

College of Natural Sciences: For UT students seeking to enhance their science education, apply to pursue a certificate within the College of Natural Sciences. With 11 different programs to choose from, students have the opportunity to incorporate these additional classes into their 120 credits that UT requires.

UTeach: Looking for a program that offers undergraduates seeking a STEM related career and an additional certification in teaching? Along with producing some of the very best middle and high school teachers, the UTeach program offers scholarships, internships, and real world experience.

Ask a Librarian: Ask a Librarian is a service intended for current students, faculty, and staff of UT that enables users to ask library staff reference questions. This service acts in addition to asking questions in person during reference desk hours or by telephone by allowing users to submit questions via email or instant message.

Sanger Learning Center: Located in Jester A332, the Sanger Center is a great resource to seek help in a many different subjects. Students have the ability to book one-on-one hour long tutoring appointments and meet with academic coaches who can help develop better study skills. Each semester students receive five free hours in the Sanger Center to use for tutoring, but everyone is able to purchase more hours should they use all of theirs!

University Writing Center: Located in PCL 2.330 on the 2nd floor, the UWC (University Writing Center) is a fantastic resource to improve your writing skills and ace your next paper! Some services include one-on-one tutoring, retreats, events, workshops, consultation services and much more. In addition, if you’re a grad student, there are special dedicated tutors simply for you.

Public Speaking Center: The Public Speaking Center is located at the PCL library in the Rooms 2.402A and 2.402B and is open from Monday and Thursday from 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. A one hour consultation session is provided with a trained student speech consultant to help with multiple services such speech notes, presentation, outlines, manuscripts and much more. Furthermore, they will listen to your speech and help craft it into something special.

Textbooks: As any student knows, the most terrifying cost after their tuition is their textbook expenses. Luckily by being at UT, students have access to a variety of resources.  Any student can obtain their book list through UT Direct, then head straight to the Co-Op to purchase them. The Co-Op offers students to purchase, rent, or digitally buy their textbook. Each one of these options has a pro.

Rent: Cheaper than buying, but you must return the book.

Purchase: More expensive but you can keep the book or re sell to student or Co-op.

Digital: Not a physical copy, but it’s typically the cheaper option between all 3, you avoid heavy textbooks.

Canvas: In order to help connect every student with every class and every teacher they encounter, The University of Texas has adopted Canvas online to help students and teachers stay organized and connected. At first glance it can be intimidating, but after a small time navigating the site, it can offer a much needed direct communication with your professor and classmates. The canvas site can be accessed with your UT EID and password.

Student Research Opportunities: The Office of Undergraduate Research provides various resources to students looking for research positions. They provide the students with a searchable database of undergraduate opportunities, Eureka. They also hold information sessions, workshops and advising for the available research positions.

Spring Study Abroad Exchange Program (Oct. 1st): UT has a wide variety of study abroad programs in a variety of countries for you enjoy and have fun. These programs will broaden your horizons and give you a fresh perspective of the world around you. The application costs $75 and is similar to the application of UT. If you need any help on completing the application, make an appointment with the UT International Office.

Bridging Disciplines Program: Want to do some research and internships, or explore an unknown world? The Bridging Disciplines Program (BDP) is just for you. This program connects your current major with a certificate in another field. The BDP consists of core requirements, electives, and an internship/research opportunity. There are info sessions every Tuesday 11 A.M. - Noon and Wednesday 3 - 4 P.M. at FAC 4th Floor to help you out. If you have further questions after your info session, advisors are available in FAC 338.

Transfer Year Experience Program: The Transfer Year Experience Office is the number one resource on campus for academic transition support for transfer students. Located on the third floor of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC), the staff can help point you to the best resources on campus for first-year students and answer any questions you may have about your core curriculum progress as a new longhorn. Although the office is geared towards first-year transfer students, the staff is more than happy to help all transfer students, new and old, who need need some guidance.